On Thursday, February 27, 2014, the Aga Khan IV – the 49th Hereditary Imam of the Ismaili Muslims is scheduled to deliver a speech at a joint session of the Canadian Parliament and Senate.
As this is a time when many people will be asking questions about the history, beliefs and practices of the Ismaiili Muslims and the role of the Aga Khan as their 49th hereditary Imam, we invite our readers to watch this November 2011 academic lecture at the University of Toronto – presented by Khalil Andani (Master’s Candidate at Harvard Divinity School).
The lecture covers the following themes:
- Locating the Ismaili Muslims within the Muslim Ummah
- Historical Snapshot of the Ismaili Imamat
- Isma’ili Da’wah and Esoteric Interpretation
- The Imamat and the Spiritual Role of the Imam
- Ismaili Muslim Praxis: Concept of Tariqah in Islam